Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Thing 1)



We read The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. It's not your typical chapter-by-chapter-page-by-page-with-the-occasional-picture kind of book. This book had pictures that filled up the whole page! It was like reading a book and watching a movie at the same time. You would read some and then there would be a whole stream of pictures.

This book was about a boy name Hugo, a girl named Isabel, and a grumpy old man who runs the toy booth in the train station. Hugo is the clock keeper in the train station in which he also lives. His Uncle ran off so right now Hugo's alone. He's also living with a broken automaton that Hugo's dad tried to fix before he died.

One time, the grumpy old man who runs the toy booth caught Hugo stealing from him. He told him to empty his pockets and he found Hugo's dad's notebook. Then, he kept it! Hugo keeps trying to get it back, but he can't; and he can't figure out why the old man wanted to keep it. All it had was drawings on how to fix the automaton and Hugo needs it back.

For our activity, we watched the DVD that came with the book.

I would give this book. I recommend this book because it is different, mysterious, and exciting.

6 comments:

Boquinha said...

Great review, Thing 1! Very well written and you pique the reader's curiosity by giving just enough hints about the book. Nicely done!

Dr. Mark said...

I'm looking forward to reading the book and your review only helped. Very nice job!

Cristin said...

I like your review, Magic Violinist! I might have to check this book out again--I completely missed the DVD and can't remember how the story ends.

Zelia said...

Kate,
You did it again. Now I feel I have to read that book. You gave me just enough info to me to want to read it. I am ow on the 3rd book of The hunger games because of you and your Mom.
Great book report.
Love you
Vavo

Vivian said...

Where to you find such interesting books? Great review. It made me want to read the book.

The Magic Violinist said...

Mommy found an article online. It was a list on books you should read after Harry Potter and this book was on it. And thank you, everyone for the comments. :)