Monday, May 13, 2013

Wonder (Thing 1)

Our family read Wonder by R. J. Palacio. Instead of a "normal" book review, we're going to write our ten favorite things about the book.

1. The sweet, funny, wonderful (and not so wonderful) characters.
2. The fact that the story is told from so many different perspectives.
3. The emotional parts that brought tears to our eyes (happy and sad ones).
4. The wise messages that could make the world a better place if we all listened to them.
5. The way you can get wrapped up in the story so easily.
6. The laugh-out-loud funny parts.
7. The simplicity of the book.
8. The never-ending surprises.
9. The end.
10. The way the author helped to teach me to never judge a book by its cover or a boy by his face. You might miss out on your only chance to meet a wonder.

I would give this book





for all of the reasons above and so much more. I can't compare this book to any other. It's one of a kind.

There was a teacher in the book that came up with a monthly precept. He asked the kids in the book to come up with their own precept, so I decided to come up with my own.

"Don't waste time, because there's no time to waste in the first place."

3 comments:

Dr. Mark said...

That's a great list! I really is hard to compare this book--it's wonderfully unique. I agree with everything on your list. And I love your precept as well--time is one of our most precious commodities, and it is not renewable!

Boquinha said...

Great list! I agree with all of them. It really is an easy book to pick up. I never, ever minded picking it up to get back to reading. Love her short chapters.

Also? Great precept. I had to reread it a couple of times and it made me think. It's excellent advice. I totally agree on the rating. Absolutely loved reading this with you. Those were some good cries and good laughs. I'm a little sad to be done with the book.

Anonymous said...

Well after reading your family's reviews, I am going today to get it! It will be perfect for me to read on our upcoming vacation.