Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Matilda (Thing 1)


We read Matilda by Roald Dahl. Instead of writing a normal book review, I'm going to interview Matilda herself.

Me: Hi, Matilda.

Matilda: Hi.

Me: Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Matilda: Sure. I'm five and a half, I'm in school, I live in England, and my family is dreadful. My daddy calls me an ignorant little twit when I answer mathematics questions that were meant for my brother, my mummy says I'm too stupid to understand things, and, well, you get the idea.

Me: How awful for you. Can you tell us a little about your school?

Matilda: Yes. I love school and I love learning. Some things are a little too easy for me. My teacher says I'm a genius, but I still like my school and my friends. My best friends are a girl named Lavender and my teacher Miss Honey. But the principal is awful.

Me: Can you tell us about the principal?

Matilda: Mm-hmm. Her name is Miss Trunchbull and she's the most awful person in the world. She's terrifically strong and incredibly mean. One time, there was a girl with pig-tails on the playground (Miss Trunchbull hates pig-tails) and she picked the girl up, swung her around like the hammer in a hammer throw, and threw her clear across the playground.

Me: Whoa.

Matilda: And that's a minor thing for Miss Trunchbull to do. She has this very tall, narrow cupboard called "The Chokey." It is about ten inches wide, and whenever she's really mad at someone, which is very often, she sticks them in there for a long time. Sometimes for the entire day. I know it doesn't sound bad, but against each wall, shards of glass and nails are sticking out so you can't lean against them. You have to stand straight up and be dead still. It's horrible.

Me: Miss Trunchbull sounds awful.

Matilda: She is.

Me: Is there any way you can stop her from being so mean?

Matilda: I think there is. I have a plan and it just might work.

Me: What is it?

Matilda: I'm not going to say. If you want to find out, you're just going to have to read my book.

And that is the end of my interview.

For our fun activity, we watched the movie, "Matilda."

I would give this book . I would recommend this book because it is cute, funny, and magical. I would also recommend the movie.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Great review, Kate. I did see the movie, but maybe I should actually read the book now!

Zelia said...

Thing1,
Very interesting the way you did the book report. I loved the interview. keep it up, it's a great blog.
Vavo

Vivian said...

I haven't read Matilda, but Roald Dahl sounds familiar. What else has he written? Great report.
xoxox
Grandma

Cristin said...

What a neat idea! A Matilda interview! I think 'The Chokey' sounds horrible. Very very awful.

The Magic Violinist said...

To answer your question, Grandma, Roald Dahl has also written "The BFG", "James and the Giant Peach", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", and many more.
Thanks for the comments, everyone!