Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins (Thing 1)

Our first book was Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater. It is a fictional, Newbery Honor book.

The setting of this book is on Proudfoot Avenue in Stillwater. The main character is a house painter named, Mr. Popper. He is very interested in the North and South Poles. He also likes penguins.

The story begins with Mr. Popper listening to the radio when Admiral Drake announces, "Hello Mr. Popper up in Stillwater. Thank you for your nice letter about the pictures of our last expedition. Watch for an answer but not by letter, Mr. Popper. Watch for a surprise. Signing off."

Mr. Popper begins to wonder about the surprise until, one day, a penguin arrives at his house! He names him Captain Cook. Mr. and Mrs. Popper aren't very rich, so another mouth to feed is very tricky. Mr. and Mrs. Popper already have two kids, as well; Janie and Bill.

One day, another penguin arrives. Her name is Greta. Things begin to get tricky with so many mouths to feed, and it just keeps getting worse when Captain Cook and Greta have ten little penguin chicks! So, Mr. Popper devises a plan to help get money for food for them and the penguins . . .

For our fun activity to go along with the book, we read the last few chapters while drinking homemade hot chocolate.

I would give this story.

I think people should read this book, because it's funny, cute, and you learn stuff about penguins and their habitats. This book also has a twist in the ending that I didn't expect.

4 comments:

katie said...

I am excited to read your blog. I have an 8 year old daughter and a 6 year old son who love to read. We are always looking for good books, so I am sure we will be looking back here for suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I can't wait to read more reviews! I'll have to tell my girls about this site, too.

Zelia said...

Wow. You did it again. Great Blog and the book sounds awesome, just as awesome as you.
I love you.
Vavo

a skateboarder who plays guitar. said...

I love this book!...Great review guys!...This is such a great idea!