Monday, February 10, 2014

The Giver (Thing 1)

We read The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's about a boy named Jonas who lives in a seemingly perfect world without pain or fear. When Jonas turns twelve, he's chosen to receive special training from the Giver, the only person who holds memories of what life is really like.

What I liked: I loved how this book made me think. A world without pain or fear? It seems pretty great at first (no wars, no fighting, perfect harmony, etc.) But you also don't get the good stuff, like colors and music. Nobody, except for Jonas and the Giver, feels anything: no love, no anger, no joy, no sadness. They only get dulled down versions of emotions. As a result, no one is able to love except for Jonas and the Giver. I'm so excited to see the movie!

What I didn't like: It takes a little bit to get into the book. There are a lot of long-winded descriptions and it takes a long time to get to the action. But once you get past the first half or so, there's a great payoff.

I give this book

.  I recommend it to lovers of dystopian, though I can assure you it's nothing like The Hunger Games.

2 comments:

Boquinha said...

It is a really great book. I'm very glad we read it together. Thanks for suggesting it. I love books that make me think about things like that. She painted an amazing landscape, community, and characters to illustrate her points. Great book. Great review. :)

Dr. Mark said...

I can't believe it's taking me so long to get to these posts. Great review. It's been a while since I read it so it's nice to get the quick rundown.