Thursday, September 1, 2016

Rebecca (Thing 1)


We read Rebecca by Daphne du Marier. It's a gothic novel about a woman who marries a rich man named Maxim de Winter, who recently lost his wife Rebbeca to a boating accident. The protagonist feels as if she can never live up to Rebecca as a wife or a woman in high society.

A friend of mine called this "a ghost story without an actual ghost," which is the perfect way to describe it. I loved the fact that the narrator of the book is never given a name. It's done well so it isn't confusing, but leaves you wanting to know. The beginning of the book is really slow, but the payoff is worth it. I haven't read many gothic novels, but I enjoyed this one. I had lots of theories going into it that I was very surprised about.

I would give this book

(actual rating: 3.5).

It has great writing, a simple story with a subtle mystery, and is perfect for a rainy afternoon.

2 comments:

Dr. Mark said...

A very good description of the book, both the story and feeling. If you liked this one, there are so many other great books to discover . . .

Boquinha said...

I loved reading this with you guys! It is SUCH a good book and I hope you revisit it when you're older and just remember that the beginning is a little slow, but the payoff is so worth it! Gothic novels are the best. I highly recommend Jane Eyre as another to read. It's BEAUTIFUL and classic. It really is perfect for a rainy afternoon.