Thursday, September 1, 2016

Rebecca (Thing 2)

We read Rebecca, by Daphne Du Maurier. It is a Gothic novel that starts in Monaco, where the unnamed main character of the book meets a man named Maxim de Winter. They get married only days after they meet. Maxim de Winter lives in a giant, beautiful house called Manderlay. Maxim de Winter's old wife, Rebecca, died, and the new Mrs. de Winter thinks that she is never going to be as good as her.

I would give this book 

I liked the ambiguity of the whole thing, wondering how Rebecca really died, and the darkness. But the beginning was really slow, so I decided to remove two stars.

2 comments:

Boquinha said...

I loved reading this with you guys! I've been so excited to share it with you, especially since it is this book that gave me the idea for your name! It is SUCH a good book and I hope you revisit it when you're older and just remember that the beginning is a little slow, but the payoff is so worth it!

Dr. Mark said...

Oooh, harsh critic! It is a little slow to get into, but the payoff is worth it. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. Ambiguity is great in a book if the author does a good job with it.