Monday, October 20, 2014

Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (Thing 1)

We read Because of Mr. Terupt (dollar word) by Rob Buyea. It's about seven kids starting fifth grade with their new teacher, Mr. Terupt. They all have their insecurities, their fears, but Mr. Terupt helps them to overcome them and to make new friends. Until an accident changes everything.

What I liked: The changing perspectives, getting to see the same scene through every kid's eyes without it repeating itself. The characters, Mr. Terupt, the dollar-word game*, the simplicity, the ending. Everything about this book was wonderful, right down to the different fonts when there was a new narrator.

What I didn't like: At first I was uneasy about reading a book where there were seven kids to keep track of. I don't like having to keep track of too many characters at once, especially when they're all narrating. But it didn't take long to get used to it, and in the end it made all the difference. The story wouldn't have been the same if they hadn't all played a part.

I give this book



I recommend this book to anyone looking for a good family read, especially for those who love the books Wonder by R.J. Palacio and Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper.

(After finishing the book, our family did the dollar-word challenge. My word: Sherlocked.)

*The dollar-word game is a math project Mr. Terupt had the kids do where they attempt to find a word that equals one dollar exactly. Each letter is worth a certain amount to make up the dollar. For example, a = 1, b = 2, c =3, and so on.

2 comments:

Dr. Mark said...

I'm so shocked at your word. ;)

Very nice review. I can see why you'd be apprehensive, but at this point, I've read so many books with shifting perspective that it almost seems strange NOT to have to keep track of a bunch of characters!

Boquinha said...

"That's not even a word!" /Rachel :)

I totally agree with you - I was worried about the multiple characters, too. It took me a while, but I got it and liked it (even if I had to keep flipping to the back cover for reference and asking you guys, "Who is that again?"). I love the ending, too, as evidenced by my tears as I read it with you. Great review.