Tuesday, October 6, 2015

"Damn Yankees" (Thing 1)

My brother and I watched "Damn Yankees." It's about a man named Joe who's always wanted to be a baseball player and finally gets the chance to make himself younger again and give it another shot thanks to a deal with the devil.



I've been wanting to watch more musicals in general, so this was a good one to start out with. There wasn't a super complicated plot or anything that was hard to follow, but the music was fun, as well as the story. The songs are extremely catchy (I'm humming "Heart" even as I type this). I also really liked the Applegate character. There was something quirky about him that reminded me of some of the demonic characters in "Supernatural," and he made me laugh a few times.


I would give this movie


(3.5) for all the reasons I listed above, though I took a couple off for the cheese factor (granted, it's bound to happen with most musicals) and the part that bugged me the most, with Joe's wife not recognizing him. Even if he was younger, I have a hard time believing she wouldn't be able to tell it was him. I'm sure there were pictures of him as a twenty-year-old that she must've seen. But for the most part, it was pretty good.

2 comments:

Dr. Mark said...

Good, and honest, review. Maybe that version of Joe as a 22-year-old was different than the one his wife knew. But then again, realism isn't always the point of these musicals. And the more you see older musicals, the more you'll be able to compare cheese factor. I still enjoyed the review, though.

Boquinha said...

Well, Applegate is the devil after all. Good point about the wife. Not to mention, they were probably married young, so she probably KNEW him when he was 22. I love the music in this one! Great review!