Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Phantom Tollbooth (Thing 1)


We read The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It's about a boy named Milo who thinks everything is boring. One day he receives a strange package containing a tollbooth. He hops into his toy car and drives through the tollbooth and he is suddenly in "The Lands Beyond." He drives to Dictionopolis where he meets a watchdog named Tock, the Humbug, King Azaz, and many others. He learns that King Azaz and the Math Magician are quarreling and the only way to fix everything is to free the princesses Rhyme and Reason. And so, they set off on a long, hilarious, and dangerous journey.
I would give this book. It has all sorts of funny plays on words and if you're a grammar nerd, or any nerd, and even if you're not a nerd, you'll love this book. :D

1 comment:

Boquinha said...

I am so glad we read this book together! I really enjoyed the play on words, too. It was very clever. Not sure how I missed this book as a kid, but I do like it as an adult! Now, every time I think about "jumping to conclusions," it has a whole new meaning. :P